Main Article Content
Purpose: To improve the physicochemical properties of poorly aqueous soluble albendazole by formulating its amorphous mixtures by different techniques. Methods: cogrind amorphous mixtures were successfully formulated with different carboxylic acids like citric acid, benzoic acid, salicylic acid and succinic acid in equimolar ratios by grinding and solvent drop grinding technique without formation of cocrystals. The physicochemical properties of pure albendazole and corresponding cogrind mixtures were assessed in terms of melting point, drug content, saturation solubility and dissolution studies, Infrared spectroscopy (IR), X-ray powder diffractometry (XRPD) and Differential scanning colorimetry (DSC). Results: The results indicated a marked improvement in flow properties and saturation solubility of amorphous mixtures. Further, in case of dissolution experiments, the amorphous mixtures showed a significant enhancement in the dissolution profiles as compared to pure albendazole. In-vitro anthelmintic as well as in In vitro antifungal activity was also improved. It could be concluded that better improvement of physicochemical properties of albendazole could be possible with salicylic acid and citric acid using cogrinding technique. Conclusion: It is possible to formulate amorphous mixtures of albendazole with different carboxylic acids without forming cocrystals still strong agreement to form cocrystals by solubility parameters, structural features.
D.O.I. - 10.25258/ijddt.9.4.1
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
between drug discovery and development. Drug Discovery
Today, 7(9), 86-495.
2. Yadav, A.V, Shete, A. S, Dabake, A.P, Kulkarni, P.V and
Sakhare, S.S. (2009). Co-Crystals: A Novel Approach to
Modify Physicochemical Properties of Active Pharmaceutical
Ingredients. Indian J Pharm Sci , 71 (4), 359-370.
3. Yadav, A.V, Shete, A.S and Dabake, A.P. (2010). Crystal
engineering an approach to modify physicochemical
characteristics of Mefloquine Hydrochloride. Drug Dev Ind
Pharm, 36 (09), 1036- 1045.
4. Sekhon, B.S. (2009). Pharmaceutical co-crystals- a review. ARS
Pharmaceutica, 50(3), 99-117.
5. Silvina, G.C, Sergio, S.B, Carlos, E.L. and Daniel, A.A. (2010).
Improved Albendazole Dissolution Rate in Pluronic-188 Solid
dispersions. AAPS pharmascitech, 11(4), 1518-25.
6. Evrard, B, Chiap, P and Detullio, P. (2002). Oral bioavailability in
sheep of albendazole From a solution containing hydroxypropyl
β-cyclodextrin. J Control Release, 85(1–3), 45-50.
7. Vogt, M, Kunath, K and Deessman, J.B. (2008). Dissolution
improvement of four poorly water soluble drugs by cogrinding
with commonly used excipients. Eur J Pharm Biopharm, 68(2),
8. Torrado, S, Torrado, J.J and Cardoniga, R, (1996), Preparation,
dissolution and characterization of albendazole solid dispersions.
Int J Pharm, 140,247–250.
9. Palomares, AF., Jung, CH., Pérez, VJ., Piliado, JC., Rodríguez,
MS. and Palencia, HG. (2009). Synthesis and in vitro cysticidal
activity of new benzimidazole derivatives. Eur J Med Chem ,
10. Mohammada, A.A and Velagaa, SP. (2011) Hansen solubility
parameter as a tool to predict cocrystal formation. Int J Pharm,
11. Sinko, PJ. (2010). Editor. Martin’s Physical Pharmacy and
Pharmaceutical Sciences, Baltimore USA: Lippincott Williams
12. Baskar, L and Papiya, MM. (2011). In -Vitro Anthelmintic
Activity of Some 1-Substituted Imidazole Derivatives. Acta
Parasitological Globalis, 2 (1),01-05
13. Aswar, M, Aswar, U, Watkar, B and Vyas, M. (2008).
Anthelmintic activity of Ficus benghalensis. International
Journal of Green Pharmacy, 170-172.
14. Setia, A, Goyal, S and Shrivastava, B. (2011). In Vitro Antifungal
Evaluation of Albendazole Solid Dispersion. Asian Journal of
Biochemical and Pharmaceutical Research, 4(1), 164-68.
15. Sathesh Babu, P.R. and Subrahmanyam, CVS. (2008). Solubility
Behaviour of Rofecoxib in Individual Solvents using the Concept
of Partial Solubility Parameters. Ind J pharm Edu Res 42(2),
16. Sathesh Babu, P.R, Subrahmanyam, C.V.S, Thimmasetty, J and
Manavalan, R. (2007). Extended Hansen’s Solubility Approach:
Meloxicam in Individual Solvents. J Pharm Sci 20 (4), 311-16.
17. Zdemir, C.O. and Guner, A. (2007). Solubility profiles of
poly(ethylene glycol)/solvent systems I: Qualitative comparison
of solubility parameter approaches .Eur Polym J , 43, 3068–3093.
18. Segarceanua, O. and Lecab, M. (1997). Improved method to
calculate Hansen solubility parameters of a polymer. Progress
in Organic Coatings, 31, 307–310.
19. Ning, Q, Mingzhong, L, Walkiria, S and Nazneen, M.D. (2011).
Pharmaceutical cocrystals: An overview. Int J Pharm, 419 (1-2),
20. Po-Chun, H, Hong-Liang, L, Shun-Li, W. and Shan-Yang, L.
(2012). Solid-state thermal behaviour and stability studies of
theophylline–citric acid cocrystals prepared by neat cogrinding
or thermal treatment. J Solid State Chem , 192, 238:245.
21. Takkaki, M, Yasuo Yshi, et al. (2012). Cocrystallization and
amorphnisazation induces by drug – excipient interaction
improves the physical properties of acyclovir. Int J Pharm
22. Chatwal, G.R. and Sham, K. A. Instrumental methods of
chemical analysis. Nagpur: Himalaya publishing house; 2008.
23. Aulton, ME. (2007). The Science of Dosage Form design. China:
Churchill Livingstone Elsevier.
24. Ghosh, I and Werner, M.N. (2012). The strategic use of
supramolecular pKa shifts to enhance the bioavailability of drugs.
Adv Drug Deli Rev, 64,764–783.
25. Kalaiselvan, R, Mohanta, G.P. and Manna, P.K. (2006). Studies
on mechanism of enhanced dissolution of Albendazole solid
dispersion with crystalline carrier. Ind J Pharm Sci,68, 599-07
26. David, P. and Eldera, R.H. (2012). Use of pharmaceutical salts and
co crystals to address the issue of poor solubility. Int J Pharm,
453 (1), 88-100.
27. Lekme, T.L. and Williams, D.A, (2013). editors, Foye’s Principles
of Medicinal Chemistry. New Delhi: Wolters Kluwer.
28. Richard, D.C., Erwin, L. and Ann, R.H, (2009). Efflux-Mediated
Antifungal Drug Resistance Clinical microbiology reviews,
29. Andrew, V, Trask, W.D, Samuel, M. and William, J. (2004).
Solvent-drop grinding: green polymorph control of crystallisation.
Chem Commun (Camb), 7(7), 890– 891.
30. Santiago, T. (1996). Formulation parameters of Albendazole
solution. Int J Phar, 140, 45-50.